Author Topic: Black/blank screen after reboot  (Read 18736 times)

jcutts

Black/blank screen after reboot
« on: November 19, 2010, 10:12:45 PM »
Teamviewer has always worked just fine for me. However, tonight I rebooted the remote computer and when I reconnected to it, I saw only a black desktop.

I was definitely connected, as I could access file transfer and other functions. But after many attempts at rebooting, even into safe mode, I still only see a black desktop.

What's going on??

Thanks.

Darkwing

• Night Owl Remote
Re: Black/blank screen after reboot
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 12:48:30 AM »
Is it happening on just one remote computer or all? If just one then it's the host, if all it's the TV main. I believe TV has a test box you can log into to check if your Main program is working but I don't remember how to get to it off hand.
Have you recently updated your TV?

Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 04:00:51 AM »
Have you tried updating the version of teamviewer on the remote (and local) machine?
When was the last time you updated?

jcutts

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 09:43:36 AM »
I only have one machine that I'm connecting to remotely. Please note that everything was working fine until I remotely rebooted the remote machine. When it came back up and I connected, the screen was black and has continued to stay that way after several reboots.  So I don't see how this could be an issue of how recent my versions are.

There is clearly something else going on and I have no idea how to resolve it. Please help.

Darkwing

• Night Owl Remote
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 10:41:15 AM »
So I don't see how this could be an issue of how recent my versions are.
Sometimes people have trouble after an update, which is why we were  asking.

Here's the ID for the Teamviewer Test Server: 12345
It will give you a password.
If you can log into that server and see the desktop then you know it's the host. If that's the case, and it's at all possible, then perhaps you can uninstall/reinstall the host program on the remote computer.

jcutts

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 05:28:47 PM »
Thank you.  No, I didn't have an update but I appreciate your asking about that.

Also, thank  you for the test screen. I can see the test screen fine but still can't see my remote desktop. I suppose I can uninstall and reinstall when I am back at the site where the remote computer is, though I'm not sure why a simple reboot would change anything.

Darkwing

• Night Owl Remote
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 01:34:23 PM »
Here's a silly question perhaps. . .
Does the remote computer have more than one monitor connected to it?
I know, silly, but thought I'd ask.

jcutts

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 02:02:17 PM »
Just one monitor. Is anyone out there from the Teamviewer team??? The fact that everything was fine until I remotely rebooted seems very strange. Surely this must have happened to someone before.

I notice that phone support is not available to us ordinary users, so I'm hoping that someone from Teamviewer here can come up with some things I can try other than uninstalling and reinstalling, which I can't do remotely anyway.

Is there some setting that is off or some process I can use to reset it?

jcutts

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 01:33:21 PM »
Resolution:

On coming back to the physical location of my office computer, I found that the rebooting process had left a lot of "residue" going on. There were a number of screens reporting errors and those screens needed to be clicked on. There were some specific error screens for Teamviewer.

I am hoping that now that I've cleaned all that up, I won't have any trouble with remote viewing.

It does raise an interesting issue, though. I used to have a second remote access program running on my computer so that if I couldn't connect with one, I could connect through the other one to make any needed changes.