Author Topic: Using TeamViewer for Personal use  (Read 6632 times)

MrBill

Using TeamViewer for Personal use
« on: April 04, 2016, 06:19:13 PM »
Hope this isn't a ridiculous question ...

So it seems that the way I'd like to use TeamViewer is in reverse of what it is generally intended for. Everything seems setup for an IT person to access multiple clients and be able to support multiple computers from one source (a Host computer?)
I'd like to use TeamViewer to access our home PC from 2 remote laptops and an Android phone (or maybe 2, if that's possible). My girlfriend and I both travel a lot, and want to be able to access the home PC that we have pictures, videos and personal files stored and shared on ..
The home PC is setup with 2 User Accounts, each with their own passwords. Most of our pictures and such are in the Public/shared folders ..

She will access her User Account, I'll access mine ...  and it'd be the icing on the cake if we can connect from our androids too.

There's probably never going to be any need of the home PC ever connecting to the laptops or Android ..

Is all this doable? Will TeamViewer connect each of us to the Users log in screen?

matt

Re: Using TeamViewer for Personal use
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 07:16:17 AM »
Setup TV on the home computer as an unattended host

You can both log on at the same time if you like, and each from multiple devices, but you will both see the same screen.
The user logon screen will only show, if you log out back to that screen each use, otherwise when you log in next, you will see what is on the screen at the time.

If you want you OR your girlfriend to log in, but not both together, then look at RDP free technology from Microsoft. You will need either a static IP address, or a service like dyndns.org to link your ip address of the moment to a FQDN (a name like say youandher.dyndns.org).

Depends really on what you want to do.

Admin

• Administrator
Re: Using TeamViewer for Personal use
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 10:08:56 AM »
Hope this isn't a ridiculous question ...

So it seems that the way I'd like to use TeamViewer is in reverse of what it is generally intended for. Everything seems setup for an IT person to access multiple clients and be able to support multiple computers from one source (a Host computer?)
I'd like to use TeamViewer to access our home PC from 2 remote laptops and an Android phone (or maybe 2, if that's possible). My girlfriend and I both travel a lot, and want to be able to access the home PC that we have pictures, videos and personal files stored and shared on ..
The home PC is setup with 2 User Accounts, each with their own passwords. Most of our pictures and such are in the Public/shared folders ..

She will access her User Account, I'll access mine ...  and it'd be the icing on the cake if we can connect from our androids too.

There's probably never going to be any need of the home PC ever connecting to the laptops or Android ..

Is all this doable? Will TeamViewer connect each of us to the Users log in screen?
Yes
Presuming you have teamviewer setup correctly:

After teamviewer is install you need to define a permanent password for access:
On the PC: double click the teamviewer icon then click EXTRAS/OPTIONS
Under the general tab make sure "start teamviewer with windows" is checked.
click the security tab on the left
define the personal password and confirm
also
under Windows logon choose "allowed for all users"
click OK restart PC
both you and your girlfriend can use the same Teamviewer password to access the PC form any device that teamviewer is installed on provided you know the PC teamviewer ID and predefined password.
You can log out and log in from each Windows user account that you know the password but only of you know the password for that user account( teamviewer wont automatically allow access to a windows user account it just provides the connection)

anything