Author Topic: Is Teamviewer legal at work?  (Read 9270 times)

katdeluna

Is Teamviewer legal at work?
« on: September 19, 2010, 04:00:02 AM »
Hello,

My question is that the informatic technicall of my company did install this application in my computer, as well as in other collegue´s computer and he didn´t explain what was it for. He only advised to her that with this program he can "see and hear" her all the time. Is that true?? And if so, is that even a legall use of it?? Shouldn´t he ask us for permission to acces to our pc´s each time he has to install or work in our computers?? Where does this practice leave or privacy rights at work???
Please, I need your help with this problem in order to act consecuently.

thank you in advance for your feedback.
Regards.

fredthomke

• PC Guru and Musician
    • PC Help Guru
Re: Is Teamviewer legal at work?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 02:16:17 PM »
Hi,
In my opinion, this is a question of ethics and policy for within your own company.  Yes, the IT guy at your company should only be accessing your computers when you have an issue (and have specifically asked the IT guy for support) or if he has to access your computer to "push" some sort of update. He should not just "sneak" into your computer without your knowledge that he is doing so.

Again, this is just MY opinion, and your company may have a different opinion.

When he is using TeamViewer, I THINK that your computer will always let you know (via a pop-up) that your IT guy is getting into your computer.  I do not think it is possible for the IT guy to use TV to "sneak" into your computer without your knowledge while you are sitting at the computer, but I may be mistaken.  However, there are certainly other methods your IT guy could use to "sneak" into your computer without your knowledge.  And of course, he could get into your computer when you are not sitting in front of it, but your computer is no (for example, after work or during a lunch break).  My point is, this is not a TeamViewer issue, it is a trust/ethics/policy issue for your company.

- - fred

ERS

Re: Is Teamviewer legal at work?
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 03:40:39 PM »
also in order for him to access your system he has to have installed a password, simply open the teamviewer client on your side
click on Extras/Options/security and change the password, then his connection wont be accepted