Author Topic: Cloned installation  (Read 5887 times)

CurlyBen

Cloned installation
« on: July 29, 2015, 08:06:45 PM »
Hi all,

Hope this hasn't been covered before - I couldn't see anything. I've been trying to set up a headless server with the added challenge of it being truly headless - all my monitors (other than on my laptop) are on another continent at the moment.

I'm a Linux newbie so the way I've done this was to install onto a USB stick on my laptop and set up networking etc. (and install Teamviewer), cloned that USB stick, then plugged both USB sticks into my new server box. I then used Teamviewer to login to the server, and cloned the USB stick that wasn't running the system to the internal SSD. So far so good. I then removed the USB sticks and booted from the SSD, and that's worked.

However, Teamviewer doesn't. Using SSH and 'teamviewer -info' everything looks OK and I have a Teamviewer ID (the same ID as the USB stick version), but if I try and access that ID I get "A connection could not be established. Either your partner isn't connected to the internet or your partner's TeamViewer isn't running yet. Please tell your partner to check his/her internet connection or to start Teamviewer". I know Teamviewer is running and the computer is connected to the internet! They're also on the same local network so the local connections issue shouldn't be a factor.

My best guess so far is that it's an issue caused by the cloned copy of Teamcenter having the same ID as the original on the USB stick (though it works happily enough from both USB sticks). Is that likely? If so, can it be changed? I did try uninstalling and reinstalling Teamviewer through SSH but got myself into such a mess I ended up recloning the drive!

Any ideas to stop me tearing my hair out? Thanks!

A couple more details: the server is an Intel NUC i5, 8gb RAM, 32gb mSATA SSD running Ubuntu Desktop 14.04 and Teamviewer 10
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 08:14:02 PM by CurlyBen »

matt

CurlyBen

Re: Cloned installation
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 11:07:20 AM »
Thanks for replying, but that doesn't really tell me what I need to know - is Teamviewer not working because it's been cloned? (The typical problem I've read about with cloning is that the ID is no longer unique, but I'm only ever running one of the 3 cloned installations)

I had so many problems trying to uninstall and reinstall Teamviewer using the command line that I'm not desperate to try again without being reasonably confident that it's the cloning process that is causing the problem. Teamviewer seems to work fine on 2 of the 3 installations!

matt

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 12:47:28 AM »
Yes the Teamviewer ID is generated based on hardware including the MAC address of the network connection.

Installing and running teamviewer generates an ID number that is stored in settings somewhere, which then won't work on different hardware.
They (TeamViewer) suggest that you install Teamviewer AFTER the cloning.

CurlyBen

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 09:24:38 AM »
Well after a lot of faffing around I did a completely clean install of Ubuntu 14.04 (plus ssh server) onto a USB drive, cloned that onto the SSD and did a fresh install of Teamviewer. Result? When I run Teamviewer -info I'm presented with this message under Teamviewer ID:
"Try restarting the TeamViewer daemon (e.g. teamviewer --daemon restart)"
At least when I'd installed Teamviewer before cloning I got an ID, even if I couldn't connect!

I'm getting pretty close to giving up on this software, I've wasted 20+ hours just trying to get it running now.

CurlyBen

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 11:57:43 AM »
Presumably the same problems will occur if the HD is moved from one machine to another?