Author Topic: help with remote password, how to make permanent?  (Read 6011 times)

ottenm

help with remote password, how to make permanent?
« on: February 07, 2015, 07:01:18 PM »
A few months ago TV started changing my remote password (with each use?  with each reboot?).  The change seemed a bit out of the blue as I had used the same password for a couple of years and did not change any settings knowingly.

Under 'Preferences' and 'Advanced', I tried changing something like 'Random password after each session' from 'Keep Current' to 'Disabled', but then the remote password field was blank on the main screen and I could not figure out how to enter a password or connect remotely.  I changed the setting to 'Generate New', but still got a blank password field and was locked out, even after rebooting the computer.

Under 'Preferences' and 'Security' I noticed the 'Random Password' was set to 'disabled'.  I changed it to 'Secure (6 characters)' and then got a remote password back in the main screen along with constant password resetting.

Sorry I'm not able to find this solution on my own.  I'm super comfortable on Windows, but struggle on the Mac where I have set up TV and am trying to connect remotely to help my aging parents before it's too late.  It's a struggle for them to get to TV and tell me the password each time.  Would love to get back to whatever we had when I could log in with a (semi-?) permanent password.

Thanks for any help!

matt

Re: help with remote password, how to make permanent?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 04:24:47 PM »
Under 'Preferences' and 'Advanced', I tried changing something like 'Random password after each session' from 'Keep Current' to 'Disabled', but then the remote password field was blank on the main screen and I could not figure out how to enter a password or connect remotely.  I changed the setting to 'Generate New', but still got a blank password field and was locked out, even after rebooting the computer.
Try this again, now that the other setting has been changed

ottenm

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 10:20:46 AM »
Thanks for your suggestion Matt.  Sorry for the slow reply, it's a little tough getting to the machine and trying out changes.

Not sure I'm trying the right combination of settings with the one under 'Advanced' and the other under 'Security'.  Under 'Advanced' I changed it to 'disabled', and under 'Security' I left it as 'Secure (6 characters)'.  When we exit and restart TV there's no password in the 'Allow Remote Control' panel and we're not able to type anything in there (or log in using TV).

Anyone know what the two settings should be to allow a persistent password for the 'partner'?

Thanks so much!

matt

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 03:37:09 PM »
On my windows system (I'm on version 8 )

Under
Extras >> Options >> Security >> Random Password >> set to anything but disabled (I'd suggest at least 6 characters)

Extras >> Options >> Advanced >> Random Password after each session >> set to 'Keep Current'

ADDITIONALLY, you can set a second password, one that always remains constant, irrespective if the random password changes or not (I use both, depending on purpose)
This would be done by

Connection >> Setup Unattended Acesss, and this password can be changed in
Extras >> Options >> Security >> Personal Password (for unattended access)
There is also an option there to 'manage additional passwords'

I'll check my MAC, but I'd expect similar menus under preferences rather than the Windows 'options'
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 03:39:26 PM by matt »

anything