Author Topic: How to: Configure TeamViewer 9 WOL (Wake On Lan) on Windows  (Read 18024 times)

Amplitude

How to: Configure TeamViewer 9 WOL (Wake On Lan) on Windows
« on: November 10, 2013, 03:33:04 PM »

I attempted to configure WOL using TeamViewer 9. First thing I did was entered the BIOS of the Lenovo Think Center.
I noticed the WOL has three settings:

• Automatic (This is the default)
  • Primary
  • Disable

I selected Automatic, saved changes and exited the BIOS.

Next in the Intel Gigabit Network Card, I selected the Advance Tab and Selected Allow this device to wake up computer.
I did not select: Allow Magic Packets Only to wake up computer.

I applied and saved my settings.

In Team viewer I added the computer to my account, configured WOL to wake the computer.

Now, this is where I am confused:

According to the Instruction manual provided by TeamViewer, I am suppose to use the TeamViewer Network ID.

Both computers has a different ID and I am not sure which ID I am suppose to use.

Where is this ID, is it different my id or my partner ID?

Anyway, I used the ID of the computer (Teamviewer ID when Teamviewer is started).

When I tried to wake up the computer it says failed. Wake up failed.

What am I doing wrong?

Here is the official instructions: http://www.teamviewer.com/en/res/pdf/TeamViewer-Manual-Wake-on-LAN-en.pdf

Thanks everyone.

AMP

jmbrush

Why in the world does the machine to be awakened over the LAN have to know anything about the user ID of the machine trying to wake it up?

As it sits turned off, the target is NOT running teamviewer, all it wants to see is the" magic packet" sent to its MAC address. All documents on this process demand that the target be set up correctly for teamviewer. This is misleading and simply wasteful.

You cannot use a remote computer using teamviewer to wake up a remote machine that is turned off because your machine will not even see the shut off computer. Teamviewer can only send the wake up packet it you find it on your own machine using teamviewer which is impossible.

The machine you want to wake up has no IP address, as its assigned dynamically only on boot up, and that machine and the " sleeping Lan" card has no clue what network it is attached to.

All anyone needs is to configure teamviewer to startup on the remote machine, and a piece of software that will hit the LAN card with its proper MAC address, which should cause the LAN card to tell the BIOS to turn the machine on. All the rest of the stuff in the teamviewere manuals and on these posts is of no value and does not work at all.  I have a need for this feature on my job, and would pay for it if it worked, but it does not work, and it cannot work the way the docs spell it out.

I hate to have to dangle money in  front of  a product just to get someone to explain how to make it work, but this doesn't work, and never will because the PDF file for setup and configuration says I have to open teamviewer on my remote machine, and find the target computer listed. Well, the target is turned off, which is why I need to wake it up!  so it will never be listed on my remote machine, even tho clearly the dos show the only way to wake it up is to find it listed and right click on it.

Homer Simpson was right. Doh!