Author Topic: Bluetooth mouse on a Jellybean tablet - does it work?  (Read 6025 times)

rockandroller

Bluetooth mouse on a Jellybean tablet - does it work?
« on: April 05, 2016, 09:03:55 AM »
I have a KOBO arc HD tablet, which is a pretty decent quadcore machine with 2 gigs of RAM and very high res 10 inch screen (about 2500 pixels across!).

On my last overseas trip, I successfully used it to remote in to my home machine running win8.1.

but WOW was it ever tricky trying to manage the "touch" mouse cursor (everything was really tiny, and I have big fingertips!)

So I'm hoping a bluetooth mouse will provide me with a more precision 'point and click' experience, so I can keep using this very portable tablet, instead of buying some hugely expensive ultrabook.

My question is - does anyone here use TeamViewer on Android - with a bluetooth mouse?
(In other words, will a bluetooth mouse work 'out of the box' the way one would expect it to?)

jeepnheel

Re: Bluetooth mouse on a Jellybean tablet - does it work?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 10:41:03 AM »
I've been trying this same setup, and the mouse was recognized, but currently TeamViewer's Android app doesn't utilize it in a useful way for me.  I can see & control the local Android mouse pointer just as expected, but need to use it to click/drag the separate mouse pointer of the remote (Win7) computer.  In other words, you end up with two mouse pointers that aren't synchronized, and need to use one to drag around the other (leading to many wrong clicks and extra scrolling/effort).  I do see the same behavior on Jelly Bean, Marshmallow, and an N preview devices, so it looks to be a TeamViewer app issue and not dependent on Android version...

It's very frustrating -- if the Bluetooth/local mouse would move & click the remote/win7 pointer directly, Android would instantly become a viable Surface/laptop replacement for me!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 10:45:34 AM by jeepnheel »

rockandroller

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 10:54:45 AM »
Thanks! It seems that you expect it to 'just work' exactly the same way that I do.

A lot of my trouble with the "touch" mouse cursor (aside from it just being hard to get my bulky fingertip into tight spots) was the issue of dragging the mouse cursor around. "Direct control" ( or at least the appearance thereof! ) is certainly the better way. I certainly hope they take notice and implement it in a future version.

But am I right in assuming that the "bluetooth-mouse-dragging-cursor" allows finer control of the cursor position than "fingertip-dragging-cursor"?? Might still be worth it for me....

rockandroller

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 11:00:37 AM »
And you know, they have that "direct-touchscreen-mode" option too (which really didn't work well for me on a tight screen) - so I'm somewhat surprised that if they can manage that, they couldn't directly map the Android mouse to the remote mouse...

jeepnheel

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 11:20:07 AM »
We are definitely in the same boat -- I submitted a feature-request ticket to the TV team earlier this year (after speaking with a helpful & courteous support rep), but have only seen a generic reply-mail to date.  You may want to do the same, as it sounds like they use the volume to determine priority...

I think your assumption of getting finer control by using the external/bt android mouse (in the meantime, until the direct control issue gets addressed) is a good one, but with a caveat -- I feel like I can definitely drag & manipulate the 'remote' mouse pointer more precisely (vs when I use a finger/touch controls), but end up with many more mis-clicks (some potentially disastrous, with unsaved work at stake) due to the multiple-cursor/drag-clicks confusion.  I guess which 'evil' you choose would depend on your specific use  :P

If any TV reps or devs are reading this -- please allow for direct remote pointer control/mapping (with a bt/external mouse on Android) in a future update!  This one change would make such a huge difference in Android phones/tablets as a viable laptop replacement.

rockandroller

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 11:44:25 AM »
I've now posted a support ticket. And also made a thread in the feature request forum. Hoping for the best! :-)