Author Topic: Discovered Quirks, positives and negatives  (Read 8859 times)

guyhemmings

Discovered Quirks, positives and negatives
« on: March 04, 2011, 05:55:20 AM »
A few bugs ('features?') that have been there in version 5 and are still in the new beta 6.0.9684 version.

Other folks' comments appreciated.

Guy

Negatives

1.   The Command key often stops working across the remote connection after about two uses, so things like Command-C to copy don't work. I have to close and reopen the TeamViewer session and it'll work a couple more times before failing again.
   2.   The File Transfer box shows all the OS invisible files with no option not to, so in transferring files I have to fish through all hidden files to locate what I need.
   3.   Copy and Paste don't work in the UserID box, you have to right-click and copy or right-click and paste, so it is very tedious to build up a list of partners.
   4.   I can't disable remote input.
   5.   I can't switch sides even though I have set it in the prefs on the client
   6.   Now and then the TeamViewer client freezes, and have to get the client end to Force Quit, and relaunch.
   7.   After the TeamViewer session has started, the other Mac of course has TeamViewer as the current application. I click on another app on the remote end and it won't switch out of TeamViewer; just ignores the click, I manage by clicking on the Finder on the remote dock, but often that doesn't work either and I have to get the client to click out of TeamViewer from when I can take control.
   8.   Sometimes while I am controlling a client my TeamViewer and Partner List screen suddenly appears frontmost, instead of staying behind as it should.
   9.   The remote status box on the client blocks access to the Mac hard drive at the top right of the client screen, so every time I start a session I have to drag it away from the corner—much better to put it in the bottom right of the screen.

Positives

1.   I discovered by accident the log file! I can keep track of all the connections I have made to clients for billing, using Filemaker Pro to import the updated file. This is an excellent facility. I used the TeamViewer Manager, but the data is trapped in there. The connection file is in a nice easy-to-import format which can be used with lots of database systems. This file is called connections.txt, and is found in ~/Library/Logs/TeamViewer
   2.   I can remote control more than one PC or Mac at the same time
   3.   Copy and paste works across the connection (e.g. I copy a URL at my end and paste it into the client browser)
   4.   Works through firewalls
   5.   Easy for the client to use
   6.   Customisable
   7.   The file transfer is very efficient, I use it a lot—that's why I get frustrated at it showing every invisible file when I don't need it to!

jradwan

Re: Discovered Quirks, positives and negatives
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 08:37:47 AM »
   1.   The Command key often stops working across the remote connection after about two uses, so things like Command-C to copy don't work. I have to close and reopen the TeamViewer session and it'll work a couple more times before failing again.
I have run into this problem on Windows as well ... after an undetermined time, Ctrl-C to copy stops working until you restart the connection.

anything