Author Topic: Can this be done?  (Read 8871 times)

Greg_M

Can this be done?
« on: November 01, 2020, 03:13:11 PM »
I have an observatory with a telescope in it.
I need to run all the equipment in the observatory with the computer.
About 75' away is a small shack we call "the warm room".
 What I want to do is hook both computers together with a single LAN cable.
I do not want this on the internet.
I want to sit at the computer in the warm room and run the computer in the observatory just as though I am sitting at the computer in the observatory with no internet involved.
I want to see on the monitor in the warm room, what is going on with the computer in the observatory.
I want to use the mouse in the warm room to click on stuff on the computer in the observatory.
I also want to use the keyboard in the warm room in the same fashion.

I have been trying to figure this out all day and have Teamviewer installed on both Win7 Pro computers, on the dining room table.
I have the controller computer hooked to the observatory computer through a switch.
Can I not use a switch or router?
So far it's not working.

Will/can this work like I want it to?

Greg

Admin

• Administrator
Re: Can this be done?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2020, 03:54:39 PM »
All I'm finding is using Windows remote desktop, it seems if you upgraded each to windows 10 its doable:
Since Windows 7 is no longer supported it says windows 10 but steps may work with windows 7.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/how-to-use-remote-desktop-5fe128d5-8fb1-7a23-3b8a-41e636865e8c#connect-using-remote-desktop-connection=windows-7

Additionally, this article form parkland college indicates both W7/10
https://kb.parkland.edu/page.php?id=50610

I haven't looked into it deeply but it may be worth checking.

I know you don't want it on the internet, not sure if that is a privacy issue or logistics of getting internet...
if its internet availability you could create a hotspot on a phone or tablet device that each computer connects to and use Teamviewer.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 06:12:38 PM by Admin »

anything